Try this Butternut Squash Soup with Crab as the first course for your next holiday dinner. From Happy Holidays from the Diva of Do-Ahead.
Creamy, with a hint of sweetness, this soup will become a favorite for entertaining. You can freeze the soup base, then defrost it the night before you plan to serve it, which gives you lots of flexibility. You can also serve this soup as a light lunch with crusty bread.
1. In a large stockpot, melt the 2 tablespoons butter and sauté the onion, apple, thyme, and ginger for 5 minutes, until the onion and apple are softened.
2. Add the squash and sauté for another 10 minutes, until the squash begins to soften.
3. Stir in the broth, salt, and pepper, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until the squash begins to fall apart. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup, or cool the soup and puree in a blender or food processor. Diva Do-Ahead: At this point, you can cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 months. Defrost before proceeding.
4. Add the cream and heat to serving temperature.
5. In a small bowl, toss the crabmeat with the Old Bay Seasoning and 1/2 cup melted butter. Ladle the soup into bowls and top each with 2 to 3 tablespoons of the crab. Serve garnished with parsley or chopped chives, if desired.
Happy Holidays from the Diva of Do-Ahead
A Year of Feasts to Celebrate with Family and Friends
by Diane Phillips
Harvard Common Press
Hardcover; 288 pages; $26.95
Information provided by the publisher.
This page created December 2006
The Global Gourmet®
175 Home Recipes
Burma: Rivers of Flavor
Cake Mix Doctor
Craft of Coffee
Crazy Sexy Kitchen
Fifty Shades Chicken
French Slow Cooker
Frontera - Rick Bayless
Gluten-Free Quick & Easy
Jerusalem: A Cookbook
Lidia's Favorite Recipes
Make-Ahead and Freeze
Paleo Slow Cooking
Quick Family Cookbook
Southern Living Recipes
Sweet Life in Paris
Trader Joe's Vegetarian
Copyright © 1994-2014,