An appetizing preparation, this will invigorate the winter-worn palate.
4 small winter squashes
(carnival, acorn, golden acorn, delicata, or other)
1 tablespoon nonhydrogenated margarine or whipped butter
1 large red onion, chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped toasted almonds
1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
or 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. The squashes may be baked in the oven or microwave. If you are going to use the oven, preheat it to 375 degrees. F.
2. Cut the squashes in half lengthwise. Place the halves in a baking dish, cut side up, with about 1 /2 inch of water, and cover with foil. Bake until easily pierced with a knife but still holding their shape, 30 to 40 minutes, depending on the type and size of squash used. Or microwave, using as a rule of thumb 4 to 7 minutes each for each squash. Test occasionally to make sure they don't get overcooked.
3. When the squashes are cool enough to handle, scoop out and discard the seeds. Scoop out the pulp and transfer to a mixing bowl, leaving a sturdy shell of about 1/4 inch thick all around.
4. Heat the margarine in a medium skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until golden. Add the almonds and continue to sauté until they give off a toasty aroma.
5. Combine the onion mixture with the squash pulp. Add the ginger, season with salt and pepper, and stir together. Stuff back into the squash shells. Reheat in the microwave or oven, just until heated through, and serve.
Calories: 208, Total fat: 7 g ,Protein: 3 g, Carbohydrate: 31 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 43 mg.
The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet
250 Simple Recipes and Dozens of Healthy
Menus For Eating Well Everyday
By Nava Atlas
Broadway Books, June 2001
Recipe reprinted by permission.
This page created September 2001
The Global Gourmet®
175 Home Recipes
Burma: Rivers of Flavor
Cake Mix Doctor
Craft of Coffee
Crazy Sexy Kitchen
Fifty Shades Chicken
French Slow Cooker
Frontera - Rick Bayless
Gluten-Free Quick & Easy
Jerusalem: A Cookbook
Lidia's Favorite Recipes
Make-Ahead and Freeze
Paleo Slow Cooking
Quick Family Cookbook
Southern Living Recipes
Sweet Life in Paris
Trader Joe's Vegetarian
Copyright © 1994-2013,