Prep time. 15 minutes/Cook time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Take your basic ham sandwich and turn it inside out, and you have the concept behind this boneless baked ham spread with honey-mustard and then covered with herbed rye-bread crumbs. The coating bakes into a crispy crust. You don't have to save this for a special occasion: Make it for the family on the weekend, and then use the leftovers during the week.
1 boneless baked ham (8-1/2 pounds)
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons honey
7 ounces rye bread
with caraway seeds (6 to 7 slices)
1/2 cup chopped parsley
2 tablespoons snipped chives
2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place ham on rack in roasting pan.
2. In small bowl, blend mustard and honey. Brush over ham.
3. In food processor; process bread to measure 4 cups coarse crumbs. Transfer to large bowl, add parsley and chives, and toss well. Add oil and toss again. Pat crumb mixture over ham, covering completely. Tent ham with aluminum foil.
4. Bake ham 45 minutes, or until heated through. Remove foil and bake 20 minutes longer, or until crusty.
5. Meanwhile, make Honey-Mustard Sauce.
6. Slice ham and serve with sauce.
Makes 24 servings/325 cals, 16g fat per serving without sauce.
In small bowl, stir together 3/4 cup Dijon mustard, 2 tablespoons honey, and 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice until well blended. Fold in 1-1/2 cups finely diced gherkin pickles and 1/3 cup minced red onion.
Makes 2--3/4 cups/35 cals, 0.5g fat per 2 tablespoons
The electric knife-that classic wedding gift of the 1960s-is enjoying a renaissance. There are some things it just does best, such as slicing delicate foods or carving a roast with a crumbly crust, like this Crumb-Crusted Honey-Mustard Ham. Check your parents' highest kitchen shelf for one of these oldies-but-goodies.
For true mustard fans: Instead of making the Honey-Mustard Sauce for the ham, stock up on the great mustards of the world-French, German, Polish, Cajun... And offer them, straight from the jar.
Redbook Flavor Rules!
More than 250 recipes PLUS hints,
tips & tricks for really great food.
Recipe Reprinted by permission.
This page created October 1999
The Global Gourmet®
175 Home Recipes
Burma: Rivers of Flavor
Cake Mix Doctor
Craft of Coffee
Crazy Sexy Kitchen
Fifty Shades Chicken
French Slow Cooker
Frontera - Rick Bayless
Gluten-Free Quick & Easy
Jerusalem: A Cookbook
Lidia's Favorite Recipes
Make-Ahead and Freeze
Paleo Slow Cooking
Quick Family Cookbook
Southern Living Recipes
Sweet Life in Paris
Trader Joe's Vegetarian
Copyright © 1994-2013,