by Kate Heyhoe
Capture the flavors of coastal India with fresh lime and coconut in this sweet-tart red and green chutney. I like a chutney with crunch appeal. I originally made this recipe without cooking the ingredients, but found they needed a bit of cooking and some water to help hold them together. So I compromised and discovered that for the best flavor and texture, cook half the mixture and stir it together with the uncooked half.
1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
1 whole lime
1 cup golden raisins
6 ounces fresh cranberries (1/2 of a 12-ounce bag)
1 cup flaked, sweetened coconut
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 to 1 whole serrano chile, seeded and minced (optional)
1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro
1. Cut the ginger and lime into 1/2 inch chunks. With the food processor running, drop the ginger and lime chunks through the feed tube and process until finely chopped.
2. Add the raisins and cranberries and process until coarsely chopped. Add the coconut and pulse until just mixed.
3. Remove half the mixture and set aside. Process the remaining mixture until it forms a thick paste.
4. In a saucepan, simmer the paste-like mixture with the water and sugar. Stir to blend the ingredients and cook until the liquid thickens and reduces to about half. Turn off the heat.
5. While the sauce cooks, chop the cilantro in the food processor.
6. Stir the remaining uncooked cranberry mixture, cilantro and the chile, if using, into the cooked cranberry mixture. (If the mixture seems too thick, add a spoonful of hot water.) Serve at room temperature. (Can be made a day ahead and refrigerated).
Weekend Salmon Gravlax
...and Last Minute Gift Suggestions
Copyright © 1998, Kate Heyhoe. All rights reserved.
This page created 1998 and modified November 2006.
The Global Gourmet®
175 Home Recipes
Burma: Rivers of Flavor
Cake Mix Doctor
Craft of Coffee
Crazy Sexy Kitchen
Fifty Shades Chicken
French Slow Cooker
Frontera - Rick Bayless
Gluten-Free Quick & Easy
Jerusalem: A Cookbook
Lidia's Favorite Recipes
Make-Ahead and Freeze
Paleo Slow Cooking
Quick Family Cookbook
Southern Living Recipes
Sweet Life in Paris
Trader Joe's Vegetarian
Copyright © 1994-2013,