Makes about 1 dozen large cookies
We are coconut addicts, and these large macaroons, with their crunchy, toasted exteriors and gooey, chewy interiors, bring swift satisfaction to our cravings. When we dip the bottoms in melted bittersweet chocolate, we ascend to coconut heaven!
2 packages (7 ounces each) sweetened
shredded coconut (about 4 cups)
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup egg whites (from about 8 large eggs)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Position an oven rack so that the cookies will bake in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with kitchen parchment or a silicone baking mat and set aside.
2. In a heavy saucepan, combine all of the ingredients and mix thoroughly. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom of the pan to prevent scorching, until the mixture is fairly dry and stiff, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
3. Using a #20 (l/4-cup) ice-cream scoop, scoop up level portions of the mixture and place them about 1 inch apart on the lined baking sheet.
4. Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake until the macaroons are golden brown, about 20 minutes.
5. Remove the baking sheet to a wire rack to cool for about 5 minutes, then peel the macaroons from the parchment or baking mat, place them directly on the rack, and let cool completely.
The macaroons may be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Cookies, Coffee Cake, Brownies,
Bars, Scones and More
By James McNair & Andrew Moore
Chronicle Books, 2001
Hardback, $ 17.95
Color photographs throughout
Recipe reprinted by permission.
This page created October 2001
The Global Gourmet®
175 Home Recipes
Burma: Rivers of Flavor
Cake Mix Doctor
Craft of Coffee
Crazy Sexy Kitchen
Fifty Shades Chicken
French Slow Cooker
Frontera - Rick Bayless
Gluten-Free Quick & Easy
Jerusalem: A Cookbook
Lidia's Favorite Recipes
Make-Ahead and Freeze
Paleo Slow Cooking
Quick Family Cookbook
Southern Living Recipes
Sweet Life in Paris
Trader Joe's Vegetarian
Copyright © 1994-2013,