Another "No Flame, No Fire" Recipe
Bonus: No Knife Recipe!
by Kate Heyhoe
Also known as Middle Eastern hummus and vegetables, this recipe for "Yummy Hummies" is a perfect after-school snack, and it also travels well in a thermal container as a tasty alternative to sandwiches for lunch.
As a bonus, this recipe for hummus can be made entirely without a knife or other sharp tool, but parents should cut up the vegetables and other yummies for their kids who are too young to use knives safely. If using fresh lemon juice (highly recommended!), cut the lemon in half for your young child. These precut veggies and lemon can then be kept in a plastic bag, refrigerated, until your child is ready to use them.
Besides a mixing bowl, measuring cups and measuring spoons, you will also need a garlic press, potato masher and rubber spatula.
Instructions for making without knives:
1. Place garlic cloves on cutting board. Smash with bottom of chickpea can. Discard the papery peel of the garlic.
2. Open chickpeas can, empty chickpeas into colander in sink. Rinse and let drain.
3. Press the garlic through a garlic press into a mixing bowl. Add the olive oil, tahini, lemon juice, yogurt, cumin, paprika and salt to the bowl.
4. Using a potato masher, mash all ingredients just until mixed, then add the drained chickpeas. Mash again until all ingredients are combined, using the rubber spatulat to mix and scrape down the sides of the bowl. The dip should be fairly smooth, but a few small chunks add texture and make it better.
5. Spread the hummus dip on celery sticks, cherry tomatoes, celery rounds or torn pieces of pita bread. Garnish with a light sprinkling of paprika for color. You may also put the hummus in a smaller bowl and use it as a dip.
This is an edited and updated archive of pages originally published in 1997.
Copyright © 2007, Forkmedia LLC. All rights reserved.
Modified August 2007
The Global Gourmet®
175 Home Recipes
Burma: Rivers of Flavor
Cake Mix Doctor
Craft of Coffee
Crazy Sexy Kitchen
Fifty Shades Chicken
French Slow Cooker
Frontera - Rick Bayless
Gluten-Free Quick & Easy
Jerusalem: A Cookbook
Lidia's Favorite Recipes
Make-Ahead and Freeze
Paleo Slow Cooking
Quick Family Cookbook
Southern Living Recipes
Sweet Life in Paris
Trader Joe's Vegetarian
Copyright © 1994-2014,