Izakaya: The Japanese Pub Cookbook by Mark Robinson, includes recipes like Mizuna Salad with Jako Dried Baby Sardines; Fresh Corn Kakiage Tempura; and Ripe Tomato and Cucumber Salad, plus glossaries like Japanese Aromatics.
Kanjuku-tomato to Tataki Kyuri no Salada
Marinade for lotus root
1. For the marinade: In a small saucepan, combine water, vinegar, sugar, and salt and bring to a boil. Immediately remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Cut the lotus root into 1/8 in. (3mm) thick rounds and soak in vinegared water for 5 minutes. Briefly blanch in boiling water and soak in the marinade until flavored, for 20 minutes.
2. Slice the red onion into very thin slices. If the onion is bitter, soak in ice-cold water for about 20 minutes to crisp it and remove harshness. Drain well.
3. Have ice water ready in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring salted water to a boil and blanch the snow peas for about 2 minutes. Using a spider strainer, transfer the snow peas into the ice water to stop cooking. Drain.
4. Cut the tomato into 6-8 wedges. Lightly pound the cucumber on a cutting board with a rolling pin to soften it and allow the dressing to penetrate, and cut into 1-1/4 in. (3.5cm) lengths.
5. For the dressing: in a medium bowl, beat egg yolk and gradually add 5 Tbsp. of the vegetable oil, first drop by drop, then in a very thin stream whisking vigorously all the while. The oil should be completely emulsified. If it is broken, start over with a new egg yolk. Mix in miso, sudachi citrus juice and soy sauce, and adjust thickness by whisking in about 3 tbsp. of the vegetable oil.
6. Pat dry onion and snow peas. Arrange all vegetables on a serving plate. Spoon over the dressing and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
More about Japan and Japanese Recipes
This page created September 2009
The Global Gourmet®
175 Home Recipes
Burma: Rivers of Flavor
Cake Mix Doctor
Craft of Coffee
Crazy Sexy Kitchen
Fifty Shades Chicken
French Slow Cooker
Frontera - Rick Bayless
Gluten-Free Quick & Easy
Jerusalem: A Cookbook
Lidia's Favorite Recipes
Make-Ahead and Freeze
Paleo Slow Cooking
Quick Family Cookbook
Southern Living Recipes
Sweet Life in Paris
Trader Joe's Vegetarian
Copyright © 1994-2014,