International Cuisine by The International Culinary Schools at The Art Institutes, presents recipes from around the world, including Sweet Potato Cake Martinique; Camarones Sofrito (Shrimp in Green Sofrito) Dominican Republic; Kulebiaka (Salmon in Pastry) Russia; Borshch Moskovsky (Borscht, or Moscow-Style Beet Soup) Russia; and Grønkaalssuppe (Kale Soup with Poached Egg) Denmark.
Amount (Measure) Ingredient
1. Over medium heat bring milk and sugar to 110-115°P (43.3-46.1°C).
2. Sprinkle yeast over warm milk and rehydrate 10 minutes.
3. Combine 3/4 cup (3 ounces, 84 g) flour, 1 egg, and 1 teaspoon salt. Add yeast mixture, blend until a smooth soft dough, and cut a deep X across top. Cover with plastic wrap and let starter rise at room temperature, 1 hour.
4. Beat remaining eggs with butter.
5. Slowly work remaining flour and egg mixture into starter dough; knead the mixture by hand until the dough is smooth and shiny, 6 to 8 minutes.
6. Lightly butter a large bowl and scrape dough into bowl. Lightly dust dough with flour to prevent a crust from forming.
7. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let dough rise at room temperature until more than doubled in bulk, 1 hour. Punch down dough and lightly dust with flour.
1. Step 1. Heat butter and sauté onions until translucent. Add rice and cook 1 minute.
2. Add stock and season. Bring to simmer, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook about 15 minutes. Remove cover and cook 5 minutes longer. Fluff rice.
3. Step 2. Heat butter over medium high heat, add mushrooms, and cook until moisture has evaporated. Add lemon juice and cook 30 seconds.
4. Step 3. Heat butter over medium high heat, add onions, and cook until translucent.
5. Combine cooked rice, cooked onion and mushroom mixture, hard-boiled egg, egg yolk, and dill. Correct seasoning and cool to room temperature before assembling.
1. Roll out dough to 1/8 inch (.3 cm) thick and spread 1/2 inch (1.2 cm) layer of rice mixture in the center of the dough, the size of the salmon fillet.
2. Place salmon fillet on top of rice; add another 1/2 inch (1.2 cm) layer of rice mixture on top.
3. Brush egg wash over edges of pastry and fold dough over to completely cover the rice and salmon. Trim excess dough. Place seam side down on a parchment lined baking pan. Rest 30 minutes in refrigerator.
4. Brush with egg wash, poke vent holes, and bake at 375°F (190°C) until golden brown and salmon fillet is cooked, around 145°F (63°C). Let set 10 to 15 minutes before cutting.
This page created September 2008
The Global Gourmet®
175 Home Recipes
Burma: Rivers of Flavor
Cake Mix Doctor
Craft of Coffee
Crazy Sexy Kitchen
Fifty Shades Chicken
French Slow Cooker
Frontera - Rick Bayless
Gluten-Free Quick & Easy
Jerusalem: A Cookbook
Lidia's Favorite Recipes
Make-Ahead and Freeze
Paleo Slow Cooking
Quick Family Cookbook
Southern Living Recipes
Sweet Life in Paris
Trader Joe's Vegetarian
Copyright © 1994-2013,